With the news of Diagon Alley opening at Universal Studios on July 8th, I had the urge to go through my photos for all things Harry Potter. I am a huge Potterhead and have been ever since the first book was released in the US in 1998. Let's talk about that story first! (Lots of photos ahead)
When I was 12 years old (!) my mom picked me up from school and handed me a book. She said she had just finished reading it and was certain it would be a story that I would like. At the time, I had no idea of the adventure I was about to embark on. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone had be hooked from the start. Every time a new book was released, my parents and I would attend a midnight party at our local Hastings Bookstore. I can recall reading the books as soon as I would get back in the car and not stop until I was finished. When the movies started to come out we did the same. Dressing up for midnight showings was so much fun, and when the last movie was in theaters my mom and I went together one last time. It has been a magical journey that I will never grow out of. I am 28 years old now with a Harry Potter tattoo on my arm, a Luna Lovegood cosplay I still wear, and you betcha I cried (tears of joy) last year when I met Tom Felton.
Some fun facts:
- My favorite book is the Goblet of Fire, and my favorite movie is the Prisoner of Azkaban.
- Visiting the Wizarding World of Harry Potter was very emotional for me. My dad and I spent an entire day there taking it all in. I never wanted to leave.
- Butterbeer is delicious! And tastes best as a frozen slushie.
- My Harry Potter tattoo (which I won't post because I don't want it copied) is of Hedwig sitting on spell books with potion bottles around her, and she's carrying my letter to Hogwarts in her mouth :) I was getting a different tattoo by Matt Van Cura when I noticed his knuckles said "WIZARD" .. I asked him about it and he said he was a Harry Potter fan. I knew right away I wanted him to do my tribute tattoo.
- When Robert Pattinson was announced for Twilight, I was excited because I had a crush on Cedric Diggory.
- When Tom Felton came to Dallas Fan Days last year, I was planning on getting my photo and autograph with him on Sunday since that's when I would be dressed as Luna. But I was so nervous that something would happen and he'd leave early that I decided to meet him Saturday, too, to make SURE I got his autograph.
- I occasionally sell handmade wizard wands in my Etsy store. They sell pretty fast, but I hope to add more soon!
- After Pottermore sorted me into Gryffindor I literally yelped! I'm not very brave, and I was sure I would be placed in Hufflepuff, but I remember thinking "Anything but Syltherin" just like Harry did! Then reading the welcome speech by J.K. Rowling gave me goosebumps all over again. I've never felt so proud.
The story of Harry Potter has been my favorite fandom to be involved with. I'm so thankful for my mom handing me that book all those years ago. Someday, I hope to meet more of the cast at conventions and also travel back to the Wizarding World to see the new Diagon Alley. Thank you for joining me on this trip down memory lane!
Which book and movie are your favorite?
Do you have a fandom that you've loved for years?
*All photos in this post were taken by me, my mom or my dad. Please don't use without credit :)